Learning and Curriculum
The B.I.S Inquiry Framework - Brainstorm, Inquire, Share.
Our Curriculum-Learning at Bohally Intermediate
An integrated, authentic and inquiry-based curriculum is the vehicle through which students are able to question the world around them and then engage in investigating their questions. We believe a concept-driven curriculum enables students to learn conceptual understandings that are transferable across different contexts.
In today’s information-rich world, this is far more powerful than learning knowledge, facts and figures alone. Information was once inaccessible and we relied on teachers to transmit this to students. Now, information is easily accessible and we have shifted our focus to managing information and developing understanding over gaining knowledge.
Our curriculum aims to:
- Improve student engagement, collaboration and achievement through student-led inquiry and well-planned, relevant, authentic learning tasks which link to local, national and global communities, contexts and people;
- Develop student understanding of big ideas and the inherent concepts associated with these;
- Enable students to develop and apply Key Competencies in a range of settings;
- Increase student’s ability to think creatively, critically and metacognitively with a basis in the Philosophy Programme;
- Encourage participation in a variety of authentic, meaningful tasks including the use of Digital Technologies.
BIS Integrated Inquiry Learning
Inquiry Learning at Bohally enables students to:
- Take ownership of their own learning within authentic contexts;
- Start with engagement and exploration;
- Question and investigate specific questions, issues, problems or ideas;
- Asking questions, gathering and analysing information, generating solutions, making decisions, justifying conclusions and taking action.
- Flexible learning involves revisiting steps of the inquiry process within an authentic context.
- A carefully scaffolded learning environment that is responsive to individual needs and teaches inquiry skills