Our Curriculum-Learning at Bohally Intermediate
The Bohally Curriculum is rigorous, engaging and challenging for all learners regardless of their current level of attainment. English and Mathematics are given a high priority as these are fundamental to a student’s ability to access the curriculum at a deeper level.
An integrated, authentic and inquiry-based curriculum is the vehicle through which students’ are able to question the world around them and then engage in investigating their questions. We believe a concept-driven curriculum enables students to learn conceptual understandings that are transferable across different contexts.
In today’s information-rich world, this is far more powerful than learning knowledge, facts and figures alone. Information was once inaccessible and we relied on teachers to transmit this to students. Now, information is easily accessible and we have shifted our focus to managing information and developing understanding over gaining knowledge.
Our curriculum aims to:
- Improve student engagement, collaboration and achievement through student led inquiry and well-planned, relevant, authentic learning tasks which link to local, national and global communities, contexts and people;
- Develop student understanding of big ideas and the inherent concepts associated with these;
- Enable students to develop and apply Key Competencies in a range of settings;
- Increase students ability to think creatively, critically and metagcognitively with a basis in the Philosophy Programme;
- Encourage participation in a variety of authentic, meaningful tasks which use information communication technologies.
The B.I.S Inquiry Framework - Brainstorm, Inquire, Share.